Online Post-Master’s Certificate: PMHNP, Cincinnati Online
Enrolling in the Cincinnati Online Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate Program puts you on the path toward one of the most in-demand nursing specialties available. This post-master’s online psychiatric nurse practitioner program is designed for the primary or acute care nurse practitioner/clinical nurse specialist or the nurse with a completed master’s degree and at least one year of clinical practice experience who is looking to efficiently care for patients with complex physical health and psychiatric needs.
Mostly completed online, the part-time psychiatric nurse practitioner program prepares advanced practice nurses to add advanced psychiatric skills of therapy, clinical management, and prescribing psychiatric medications to patients.
The University of Cincinnati College of Nursing is a nationally ranked nursing school.
Nurses in this profession care for the whole person and make a positive impact in mental health.
The online PMHNP Post-Master's Certificate Program is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges & Schools and nationally accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Applications for this online post-master’s certificate are accepted every semester. Applicants will be reviewed for admission on the strength of their ability to successfully complete this certificate program, and based upon the various criteria listed below.
Graduates are eligible to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification upon completion. This certification exam tests knowledge and skill related to psychiatric advanced practice. Program courses are taught by accomplished and practicing professors.
Applicants for this post-master’s certificate are required to have completed prerequisite courses prior to applying to our program. Courses should have been completed within the past 10 years, with a final grade of B or higher. Any courses taken prior to the past 10 years will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Prerequisite courses are required to be taken across the lifespan for advanced nurse practice at a regionally accredited college/university. Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) will not fulfill this requirement. Prerequisite courses include the following:
- Advanced physiology/pathophysiology, including general principles that apply across the lifespan
- Advanced health assessment, which includes an assessment of all human systems, advanced assessment techniques, concepts, and various approaches
- Advanced pharmacology, which includes pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacotherapeutics of all broad categories of agents
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an ACEN- or CCNE-accredited institution required.
- Master of science degree in an advanced practice specialty conferred from a regionally and nursing accredited institution is required.
- Unrestricted RN license required.
- At least one year of clinical practice experience required.
- The program consists of four part-time semesters with a two-day on-campus component in the first term.
- The Post-Master’s Certificate Program is not eligible for financial aid or financial assistance.
- The application deadline for Summer 2017 admission is Feb. 10.
Next Start Date
June 15, 2017, for Summer 2017 admission
Est. Time to Complete