Online Psychiatric Mental Health NP Post-Master’s Certificate Program
UC Online’s Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate program is ideal for advanced nurse practitioners looking to specialize in the field of psychiatric care and work with mental health patients throughout their lives. Our nationally ranked nursing school will provide you with the skills needed to forge an exciting new career in mental healthcare.
This online program can be completed part-time in only four semesters. Graduates are eligible to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification.
Our curriculum focuses on advanced assessment and treatment practices for psychiatric care and consists of four semesters that can be completed part-time. Students must attend one on-campus visit during the first semester (see below for more information.)
Students engage in coursework that helps them develop the necessary understanding of therapy, clinical management, and psychiatric prescription medication required for this in-demand nursing specialization. Class options span the breadth of psychiatric nursing practice, including:
· Psychopathological disorders across the lifespan
· Systems interventions of individuals and groups
· Clinical psychiatric diagnostics and management of children
To learn more about the required courses, please view our sample curriculum.
Two-day Site Visit During the First Semester
A critical component of our online program includes a site visit. Students become acquainted with cohort members, meet faculty, and personally experience the high-quality culture and competence of their future alma mater. Highlights include: general orientation and onboarding, lectures, clinical orientation, distinguished guest speakers, lunch-and-learns, and networking with like-minded mental health professionals.
Career Opportunities as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Psychiatric care is one of the most sought after specializations in the field of nursing. It is an ideal role for a compassionate individual who seeks to make an impact in the field of mental healthcare. Combining theoretical knowledge with practical experience, this post-master’s certificate program will position advanced nurse practitioners to take on challenging and exciting roles as mental health nurse practitioners.
Because this specialization addresses a growing need within the healthcare field, opportunities for employment can be found in a range of settings, including:
· Outpatient clinics
· Acute care services
· Private practice
To learn more about career options as a psychiatric nurse practitioner, including estimated salary expectations, please explore our PMHNP Careers page.
Prospective students must meet our admission prerequisites in order to enroll. Students should hold an unrestricted RN license and a master’s in nursing degree from a regionally accredited institution. We also ask that applicants have at least one year of clinical experience.
Applicants must also be able to prove that they have completed the prerequisite course material within the last 10 years and received a final grade of B or higher. Any courses taken prior to the last 10 years will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Prerequisite courses include the following:
· Advanced physiology/pathophysiology, including general principles that apply across the lifespan
· Advanced health assessment, which includes as assessment of all human systems, advanced assessment techniques, concepts, and various approaches
· Advanced pharmacology, which includes pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacotherapeutics of all broad categories of agents
For more information, please view our full admission requirements.
The psychiatric mental health NP post-master’s program is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The program is nationally accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNA).
Each state has their own laws and regulations regarding accreditation for online nursing programs. Please check with the licensing board in your state of residence before enrolling in an online nursing program at UC Online.
Learn more about our Online Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post Master’s Certificate program today!
UC Online’s Post-Master’s Psychiatric Mental Health NP program positions qualified nurses to transition into the mental health field. New students can enroll each semester. Interested in learning more? Request more information. Ready to get started? Begin your application today.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an ACEN- or CCNE-accredited institution required.
- Master of Science in Nursing degree in an advanced practice specialty conferred from a regionally and nursing accredited institution is required.
- Unrestricted RN license required.
- At least one year of clinical practice experience required.
- The program consists of four part-time semesters with a two-day on-campus component in the first term.
- The Post-Master’s Certificate Program is not eligible for financial aid or financial assistance.