Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Can I still apply if my previous school was not regionally accredited?

Yes. UC will conduct a general education requirement to check to make sure you have all of the necessary courses. Anything that doesn’t meet the UC general education requirement will need to be taken again.

What if my GPA is slightly below the minimum? Do I still have a chance to get accepted?

Yes. There is a chance if certain conditions are met. These could include taking a graduate entry exam (i.e. GRE, GMAT), being conditionally admitted or working with the program director on other ways to demonstrate your likelihood for success if admitted into the program.

Can I apply to more than one program at a time?

No. You must choose one program to apply for in any given semester.

Does UC provide scholarships?

UC does not provide scholarships specifically for online programs. For Nursing, students can check out the link below to aid in their search for outside scholarships.

Being a Student

Will my state accept your program?

At UC, we work hard to get our programs recognized by as many states as possible. Please refer to our State Authorization page to understand what UC programs your state accepts.

What is your graduation rate?

At UC Online, we pride ourselves in admitting highly qualified students and helping them achieve their dreams and goals. To do this, we assign a Student Success Coordinator to help each student navigate what is needed to get their degree. Our goal is always to get 100% of students to graduate, but ultimately graduation depends on the student and the amount of work they are willing to put in to get their degree.

Can I complete the program part-time?

Programs can be completed full-time or part-time. Many programs are set up to be part-time, with most containing fewer than 10 credit hours in any given semester. We know you have a lot going on, so want to make sure that school can fit into your schedule. Note: There are some exceptions.

How many classes do I have to take?

To be a part-time student, you only need to take 1 credit hour a semester. Most students take between 3-6 credit hours (1-2 classes) each semester.

It is important that you factor in Financial Aid when considering your class load. The number of hours you take each semester directly impacts your eligibility for Financial Aid.

Each program will also have its own plan of study. At UC, you will have a Student Success Coordinator help guide you through how many courses you should be taking and in what order. They’re here to help you on your journey to graduation.

Do online students get student IDs?

Yes. Our online students are no different from our on-campus students in that way. You get a specific ID that you can use to navigate different systems at UC and for potential student discounts.

Is this school and my program accredited?

The University of Cincinnati is a regionally accredited school which is the highest level of accreditation possible. For specific program accreditation details, please see your program information pages. There are different organizational accreditations as well.

Can I take semesters off?

The ability to take semesters off varies based on whether you are an undergraduate or a graduate student.

– You must take at least 1 credit hour in any 3 consecutive semesters to maintain active undergraduate student status.

– You must take at least 1 credit hour in a given academic year to maintain active graduate student status.

– Always check with your Student Success Coordinator or Academic Advisor prior to taking any semesters off as there could be nuances that are specific to your degree program.

Will my degree say UC Online?

No. your degree will be conferred by the University of Cincinnati, which will also be reflected on your transcripts and degree.

Is there an orientation before class?

Some programs do have an orientation that is expected to be completed before classes start. If your program has an orientation, you will receive notification regarding when it needs to be completed and what is expected of you during the orientation. Usually the orientation helps ground the student in how to use the online learning tools they will be using to complete their coursework.

What is the format for the classes?

Classes are asynchronous, some classes are in a 7-week format some are in a 14-week format. You can log on anytime 24/7 to complete your coursework. Some, but not all tests are proctored using exam proctoring software.

Will I need to be on-campus in Cincinnati at any point during the program?

Yes, to walk across the stage for your graduation. (Just kidding, that is optional!)

The University of Cincinnati’s online programs are truly all online, requiring no on-campus visits. There are a few rare exceptions and those are noted on the program information pages.

How much time do I need to spend studying each week?

Study time will vary based on the course, the number of courses you are taking and the individual student. On average, most students spend 3-5 hours studying each week for every credit hour they take. So for a 3 credit hour course, a student should plan to spend 9-15 hours studying in additional course time.

Can I work while completing this program?

Yes. The vast majority of our students work throughout their time in their academic program. It is important to assess course load and financial aid to understand how to balance school and working.

If possible, students may cut down on their work hours during a clinical portion of a program.

Are your online programs asynchronous, or on a different schedule, versus your on-campus programs?

Yes. Although UC Online programs follow the same academic calendar, they have unique schedules depending on the course.

How responsive are faculty members to student questions?

Our faculty members are very responsive to our students. They provide office hours and oftentimes their personal phone numbers, so students may easily schedule time to discuss questions or issues.

Online and On-Campus Classes

Can I do both online and on-campus programs at the same time?

In very limited situations a program may offer pertinent courses you can take both on-campus and online. Typically, you choose your mode of education (in-person or distance) at the beginning of your program.

Pharmacy Leadership

Is the GRE required?

The GRE is not required for the Pharmacy Leadership programs.

Are Scholarships Available for Pharmacy Leadership Programs?

Students accepted to the UC Pharmacy Leadership program are eligible to apply for UC Foundation scholarships for tuition support.  Information and the scholarship application can be found at the link below.

Student Services

Does UC have job placement or career services available?

Yes. We want to make sure you put your new UC degree into action. Our career services team will assist by providing tips and suggestions to help you find your ideal next job.

Tuition & Financial Aid

What payment plans are available?

There are a variety of payment options depending on your eligibility for Financial Aid. Please make sure you work with Financial Aid to understand your eligibility.

Is Federal Financial Aid (Title IV) available?

Yes. Many of our students qualify for some type of financial aid.

Sources of aid:

Can I transfer credit hours from my previous associate or bachelor’s program?

Yes. You will need to work with a program advisor to understand what credits will apply and meet the minimum requirement for credit hours completed at the University of Cincinnati.

Can I provide more than two letters of recommendation?

Yes. You can provide additional recommendation letters. You can simply add the additional recommender’s contact email in your application. They will receive an email from UC asking for their recommendation. This can be a good idea if you’re worried about one of your recommenders not getting their letter in on time.

Does financial aid apply to post-master’s certificates?

No. Most post-master’s certificates, and certificates in general, do not qualify for financial aid. It is important to speak with a Financial Aid Office representative to best understand your options.


Do I need to log in at a certain day or time to take classes?

You do not. Classes are asynchronous. You can log on anytime 24/7 to complete your coursework.

To enhance your experience and learning, many of our instructors offer online office hours held at a predetermined date and time.


Will I be able to switch back and forth between taking classes in term A and B?

Yes! The University of Cincinnati fully commits to an “MBA your Way” philosophy.

There are no restrictions as to how many or how few credits you take in either half term session. To maintain good standing with the University, students need to take at least one credit per academic year.

If you are using Federal Financial Aid, you can collect it as long as you fulfill the 5 credit hour requirement per semester. Here are some examples of what that timing could look like for a student:

Term ATerm B
Fall 20191 credit4 credits
Spring 20200 credits6 credits
Summer 20204 credits2 credits
Term ATerm B
Fall 20192 credits4 credits
Spring 20206 credits0 credits
Summer 20204 credits2 credits

For questions about your specific enrollment needs, please contact your advisor.

Are GMAT/GRE scores required for MS Taxation?

The MS Taxation program does not require a GMAT or GRE score for admission.

Is the GMAT or GRE required for MBA?

The GMAT/GRE is required for the MBA program; however, waivers are available. Factors determining eligibility are listed below.

We highly recommend applying to your program of choice before taking the GMAT/GRE or sending us your scores.

You may be eligible for an entrance exam waiver if you:

  • Have at least three years of relevant professional experience and a 3.0+ GPA from a completed bachelor’s degree program awarded by a regionally accredited institution
  • Have seven or more years of relevant professional experience that demonstrates advancement
  • Graduated from a University of Cincinnati degree program within the last three years with a 3.5 GPA or better
  • Have an active CPA certification or a terminal degree (such as a PhD, MD or JD)
  • Successfully completed a graduate degree in a relevant field

What can I do with a Masters in Educational Leadership?

A Masters in Educational Leadership can lead to a variety of rewarding careers, which includes:

  • Principal
  • Academic Director or supervisor
  • College Provost
  • Curriculum Developer
  • Tutor
  • Educational Consultant
  • Special Education Specialist
Health Sciences

How often do the BSW cohorts start?

There are two starts in the academic year: Fall (August) and Spring (January).

Is the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences – Pre-Occupational Therapy program accredited?

All of the University of Cincinnati’s online degree programs are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission

Can I get my licensure through your Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences – Pre-Occupational Therapy program?

No – the program is designed for currently licensed OTAs who are looking to obtain their bachelor’s degree, either for career advancement or in anticipation of applying to grad school to become occupational therapists or schooling in another discipline. The Pre-Occupational Therapy program is a stepping stone to grad school. You would be eligible to take the national certification exam after completing a master’s or doctorate level occupational therapy program.

I already have a bachelor’s degree, but I want to apply to OT school and need a specific prerequisite… do you offer it online?

If students already have a bachelor’s degree and need a course or two to meet prerequisites for OT school, they are welcome to take those classes online. However, they should apply through general UC admissions. Click here to view our curriculum online.

What do graduates do with the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences – Pre-Occupational Therapy degree?

The majority apply to OT grad school to obtain their master’s or doctorate in OT. However, some go on to get a Master’s in Education, Public Health or School Psychology. Possibilities are endless and up to the individual. Some students simply want to obtain a bachelor’s degree for career advancement.

Is the MOT program online?

Partially – it is a hybrid program with about a 60/40 split of on campus/online. See the MOT page for further details.

Is the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences – Pre-Occupational Therapy program a bridge program with the UC MOT program?

No, the BS in Health Sciences – Pre-Occupational Therapy program is not a bridge program. Acceptance into the Pre-Occupational Therapy program does not guarantee admission into the UC Master of Occupational Therapy program. However, the UC MOT program does reserve 25% of its cohort spots for OTAs.  In the past, these spots have been filled by graduates of the UC online Pre-Occupational Therapy program.

How long does your Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences – Pre-Occupational Therapy program take to complete?

It takes students an average of two to four years to complete the program

Human Services

What are the admission requirements for the Bachelor of Social Work program?

Students must have at least 60 transferable college credits and a 2.75 cumulative GPA.

What are the required pre-requisite courses for Social Work?

The general education requirements can be fulfilled at another institution or once enrolled at the University of Cincinnati.  If the pre-requisite courses are completed at UC, the student may be admitted to the Online BSW Program under the condition that all pre-requisites be completed in accordance with an agreed upon Plan of Study. Please see General Education Requirements below.


BIOL1021     Introductory Biology I

ECON1001   Microeconomics or ECON1002 Macroeconomics

ENG1001      English Composition

ENGL2089    Intermediate Composition

HIST1002     US History II

POL1010      Introduction to American Politics

PSYC1001    Introduction to Psychology

SOC1001      Introduction to Sociology

STAT1031    Statistics for Health Sciences


FINE ARTS (3 Credits)


HUMANITIES Elective (3 Credits)



SW1050 Introduction to Social Work and/or SW1051 Introduction to Social Welfare

*We offer an online course, SW3030, Introduction to Social Welfare, Institutions and the Social Work Profession, for transfer students to meet the SW1050 and SW1051 requirement, provided a passing grade is earned.

SW2050    Families in America or SOC2075 Sociology of the Family

SW2055    Poverty in America or SOC2043 Contemporary Social Problems


*Transferology can be used to pre-determine how previous coursework will transfer. 

Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at (888)628-3334 for a course planning guide. 

Once the student is offered admission and has confirmed, an official credit evaluation will be completed.  

How many credit hours are in the BSW program?

The Bachelor of Social Work Online Program consists of 57 total credits.

Can I transfer from the BSW online program to the BSW on-campus program?

Although the curriculum is the same for both the online and the face to face BSW program, the delivery and pace of each may be more or less suitable dependent on student needs.  The difference in their design makes it extremely difficult to transfer in and out of each.  Doing so could result in a longer time to graduation and other administrative issues.

For this reason, transfer from one program to the other is granted in rare instances.  Approval to change programs is required by your academic advisor and the Program Director of both the BSW face to face and distance learning programs.

Is there an orientation prior to starting the program?

Yes.  Online Student Orientation is required for all incoming students. Orientation is scheduled two weeks before the start of the first semester and includes modules and assessments which help students gain the knowledge and skills needed to be successful in an online program.

Will you evaluate my transcripts?

Official transfer credit evaluations are completed when a student is offered admission and has confirmed.  Please contact an Enrollment Advisor about completing a course planning guide.

What technology is required for the online social work program?

Students are required to have a computer, tablet or laptop with reliable internet connection and both camera and microphone capability.  Courses will require these tools for assignments and learning activities.

Is the Bachelor of Social Work program part-time or full-time? Is it flexible?

The required course load will vary from semester to semester, but also depends on the credit hours you have already earned.  Some semesters will require full-time enrollment, while others will only require a part-time course load.  The BSW Online Program offers flexibility and convenience when it comes to learning while working and/or caring for loved ones. To ensure successful and timely completion of the program, an individualized Academic Plan of Study will be created for each student.

How many hours of studying should I commit for each class?

It is recommended you should spend at least six to eight hours per week studying for each class.

How many hours are required to obtain a Substance Abuse Counseling Certificate?

To obtain the certificate, students must complete a total of 24 credit hours, 12 of which are required as part of the BSW Online Program.  For more information on the Substance Abuse Counseling certificate, please visit the program page.

I currently work full-time. How many hours will my field placement require?

Students are expected to attend their field placement for 16 hours each week during each semester that they are in the field.

Are there field placements with evening and weekend hours?

Placements during evenings and weekends are very rare. You should be prepared to make needed accommodations so that placements can take place during weekday hours.

Do field placement agencies offer stipends?

Paid field placements are not common. Most field placement sites do not offer a stipend to the student. However, students are permitted to receive field placement stipends without prior approval by the School of Social Work.

Can students set up their own practicum?

Students outside the Greater Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky area will work with the program Field Director to identify a suitable placement. This process is open to input, but suggested sites must be vetted before being approved.

Can I complete my field placement at my current place of employment?

Placements at the field placement site where the student is employed must be arranged by the Field Coordinator and approved by the Program Director.  All requests for placements at a field placement site where the student is employed must be submitted in writing to the field coordinator one full semester prior to the semester the student is scheduled to begin their field experience.  Students CANNOT receive field work credit for their regular employment. To help minimize role confusion and to ensure a clear separation of field instruction and employment, such placements must be able to meet the following criteria:

1.      The field instructor cannot be the student’s direct-line supervisor.

2.      The field instructor must meet the requirements of the School of Social Work.

3.      Fieldwork experiences must be educationally focused and meet all the requirements of the field instruction program.

4.      Fieldwork activities must be conducted in a different department of division of the field site.

5.      Fieldwork tasks and assignments must be separated from the normal employment tasks and assignments, thus providing the student with a distinct and different set of learning opportunities and experiences.

6.      Specific days of blocks of time must be designated for fieldwork.

When do I begin field work?

BSW students typically enroll in their field placements in the 5th and 6th semester of the program. Students are expected to attend the same placement for two consecutive semesters for a total of 448 hours (224 total hours each semester).  Online students will be placed in an agency in the metropolitan area closest to where you live.

What kind of support will I receive during my time in the BSW program?

At the School of Social Work, we are committed to ensuring your time in the academic program is both pleasant and successful. The Student Success Coordinator at UC Online will be available to help with any non-academic questions you may have.  Your Program Coordinator will help answer any academic related questions as well as assist you with course and career planning. UC Online and the School of Social Work are here to support and guide you throughout your time in the program.

Prior to beginning your first semester, you will be enrolled and required to complete an Online Orientation.  The Orientation will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful in an online program. Additionally, an online Community Board will be available to you and includes links to various academic support resources such as the UC Writing Center and the UC Career Center.

Can I complete the BSW degree while working full-time?

Yes, the vast majority of our students work throughout their time in the academic program.  In the senior year, students are also expected to attend their field placement for 16 hours each week, typically during normal business hours.  It is important to assess course load and financial aid to understand how to balance school and work.

Medical Lab Science

Where can I work as a Medical Laboratory Scientist?

Potential career opportunities after graduation include:

  • Medical laboratory management
  • Clinical supervisor
  • Research and development
  • Pharmaceutical representative
  • Forensics
  • Technical specialist
  • Education and instruction
  • Laboratory information specialist

What kind of support will I receive during my time in the MLS program?

We are committed to your success and provide lots of support including:

-Free download of Office 365 (including Word and Outlook for email) for use
during your time at UC.

-a free orientation for you to learn our program policies and how our Canvas
courses and tools will be set up; it also gives you a chance to sample the
pace and schedule of our courses.

-a Student Success Coordinator who will check in with you regularly until you
graduate to provide guidance on your plan to graduate, academic success,
registration assistance and navigating the program and UC in general.

-a course facilitator in each course, so you have a dedicated faculty member
as a “go-to person” for you and a small group of students.

-Program support including arranging clinical rotations, applying for life
experience credit and proctoring support.

-UCIT provides 24/7 support for Canvas and other learning technology.

Will I be eligible to sit for the ASCP BOC MLS exam?

Yes, by graduating from our program, you are eligible to sit for the certification exam. Starting in your first courses with us, we will prepare you with that end-goal in mind.

Because of my work experience, can I get credit to reduce the time in clinical rotations?

Yes, UC, like most universities, has a process in place to evaluate work experience for credit toward clinical rotation. In the semesters leading to your clinical rotation semester (6th), we will provide you instructions on how to apply for Life Experience Credit and let you know how that might reduce or even eliminate your need forclinical rotations.

Are clinicals required, and where will I do them?

Yes, a total of 280 clinical hours in Blood Bank, Chemistry, Hematology and Microbiology. Rotations are usually performed at the lab where you work (during unpaid hours) or in a combination of sites if your workplace does not have all of the
required areas, such as Microbiology or Blood Bank.

Do my credits from my previous MLT program/training count?

Yes, we accept up to 60 semester credits toward the first two years of our bachelor’s program. These courses provide the foundation for our upper-level courses which complete the final years of the BS degree. We do not substitute MLS courses with MLT courses.

Are there deadlines for course work?

Yes. Homework is generally due each week. Most weeks will have a quiz or exam. For this reason, we require students to check their UC email account daily. The courses are designed for regular engagement.

Do your online courses follow a particular schedule or can I take the course I choose?

Students follow an intentional sequence of courses. Our main didactic courses (Hematology, Chemistry, Immunohematology, and Microbiology) will be available on a rotating schedule; i.e. each course offered every five semesters. The first semester courses are available each semester and must be successfully completed prior to a student entering the main didactic courses. Once you complete the first five semesters, you will enter the 6th and 7th semesters which have courses that are offered each semester.

Is your Medical Lab Science program accredited?

Yes, UC is an accredited school nationally, by Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The MLS program is accredited by The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), the premier international agency for educational
programs in laboratory sciences.

How do I know if I’m prepared for online courses in your program?

We want to help ensure you are prepared by requiring all of our starting students to take a free, non-credit pass/fail orientation before you begin your first course. Orientation runs for two weeks following a weekly schedule modeled on all of our MLS courses. You’ll learn the tools we’ll use in Canvas – which houses our online courses – and the program procedures you’ll need to know to get started.

Can I attend full time?

No, our program is designed to be taken part-time by working MLTs taking 3 courses (an average of 9 hours) most semesters.

How many classes will I take?

20 courses total (60 semester credit hours) over 7 semesters. Students attend part-time taking 3 courses (an average of 9 hours) most semesters. The courses are scheduled with some to minimal overlap to enable students to devote 20-25 hours a week to coursework.


Are there any onsite visits required for your programs?

Most of our programs do not require onsite visits, but there are a couple of exceptions.

If you are interested in pursuing the Master of Science in Nursing-Nurse Midwifery, you will have two skills intensives that take place on campus. The Post-Master’s Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program has one onsite visit that occurs during the first semester of psych-specific classes.

If I reside in a local county, can I complete my program online?

For the MSN Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, MSN Family Nurse Practitioner, and Post-Master’s Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner programs, if you reside in Hamilton, Butler, Warren or Clermont counties in Ohio, or Boone, Kenton or Campbell counties in Kentucky, you may still take your coursework online. You, however, will need to complete the application for the onsite program.

How long do your Nursing programs take to complete?

Each Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program can be done in as little as two years. There are additional options available for several programs that allow students to take these programs at a slower pace. Although these options extend the length of the selected program, they often make it a more feasible option for the student.

The Post-Master’s Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program is a part-time program built to be completed in as little as four semesters, or one year and four months. The Post-Master’s Family Nurse Practitioner program has no set time frame due to the extremely customizable nature of the curriculum.

Does UC provide preceptors for clinicals?

The College of Nursing expects that you will network within your community to find a preceptor. You know your community the best and the expectation is that you will reach out to your network. The College of Nursing will vet that preceptor to make sure that it is appropriate for your population focus. If you can’t find a site after partnering with the College of Nursing, the College of Nursing will find a site though it might not be in your area.